An epidemic is sweeping across Fort Myers, Cape Coral and all of Southwest Florida, causing drivers to black out for five seconds at a time. It’s called texting and driving.
- It takes your eyes off the road for an average of 5 seconds. At 55 mph, that’s like driving the length of a football field — completely blind
- It’s like driving after having four bottles of beer
- It can make you 23 times more likely to crash
- Car crashes kill an average of 11 teens each day
- Distracted driving injures 330,000 people every year
The Culbertson Agency is trying to raise awareness of the dangers of texting while driving. This epidemic is no longer only related to teens. Every day as I commute to our Fort Myers office I see adults and kids alike emailing and texting and attempting to drive, soccer moms with a car full of kids in the back seat, and even myself as I try to respond quickly to staff and customer emails and texts while driving.
So I will start with BRIAN first. I am pledging right now, I will no longer text or email while driving. Will you join me in this pledge? Will you get your family to join me in this pledge? Tomorrow, the Culbertson Agency will launch a local advertising campaign in Cape Coral and Fort Myers focusing in on trying to raise awareness on this issue. We will sponsor billboards, newspaper ads, and even add links to our website and reminders on our business cards.