Citizens Property Insurance Corporation is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt government entity that provides insurance protection to Florida property owners throughout the state. The corporation was created by the Florida Legislature in August 2002 as a publicly funded insurer of last resort for homeowners who cannot find coverage in the private insurance market, typically those living in high-risk areas.
Citizens provides various types of coverage including homeowners insurance, mobile home insurance, condo insurance, and renters insurance. It also offers wind-only policies for those who are particularly at risk of hurricane damage.
Their goal is to offer insurance to those who cannot obtain it elsewhere while maintaining fiscal responsibility and meeting service commitments to policyholders and claimants. However, it’s intended to be an insurer of last resort, encouraging policyholders to return to the private market whenever possible.
It’s important to note that while Citizens Property Insurance provides a vital service, its rates can often be higher than those offered by private companies due to the high risk associated with insuring properties that are often deemed uninsurable by other entities.
Culbertson Agency is Licensed to Write Home Insurance through Citizens Insurance
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation, is a not-for-profit, tax-exempt government entity that provides insurance protection to Florida property owners. They offer a variety of homeowners insurance policies to meet the diverse needs of their clients.
Here are some key details about Citizens Insurance homeowners policies:
- Eligibility: Under Florida law, Citizens can write a new insurance policy only for property that meets specific eligibility criteria. One such criterion is that coverage is not available in the private market.
- Types of Policies: They offer several types of coverage tailored to meet the needs of homeowners and renters.
- Coverages: Depending on your policy type and home, coverage includes dwelling (Coverage A), which covers the building and any attached structures. The coverage amount is determined based on either the replacement cost or the actual cash value.
- Policyholder Rights and Responsibilities: Policyholders’ rights and responsibilities are explicitly set out in the Citizens policy.
- Claims Process: Policyholders can report and view claims online.
- Payments: The company also offers the convenience of making payments online.
It’s important to note that Citizens Insurance is often considered the insurer of last resort in Florida, providing coverage when private insurers won’t. In some instances, policyholders may have to switch coverage.